This is going to be a becoming a physician, technicalities about training post. So, if you’re just here for the birthy stuff, it may be a bit wah wah wah to you.
I am freaked out about the match. In a nutshell, the match is when 30,000 applicants compete for 24,000 spot at residencies, all on the same day. There’s a lot of lead up with interviews, rank lists, and the like, and it’s pretty complicated, especially if you throw in the curve ball that I am an osteopathic medical student, so I can compete in either (but not both) match system.
I am sure there is hyperbole and drama every year, but this year, word on the street is that the MD match was very competitive (pdf of advanced data). Obstetrics and gynecology only had 5 open spots left over; out of 1,187 slots, 1,182 were filled by the match. That left 5 slots left over for every unmatched applicant to scramble to fill. There were 1,777 U.S. Seniors who were applicants for those slots. That doesn’t include foreign medical graduates or graduates from previous years. 77.1% of them matched. The other 22.9% had 5 slots to fight over.
I am trying not to look at this as some sort of estimate that if I am in the top 77% of applicants on paper, I will be getting a position. There is a lot more to it than that, including away rotations, interviews, number of places ranked, etc. But, those numbers, combined with people I know with similar experience and scores not matching in obstetrics this year (vomit!), is making me really nervous. I am starting to rethink my list. I am going to expand it and include a lot more community programs, and cities in which I don’t know anyone. And, ulp, I may reconsider the osteopathic match.
I wouldn’t mind living in the New York / New Jersey area. I do have family up there and friends up there. My phys ed coach husband really wants me to try to get a residency at a place with a moderate climate. But, I could live in Brooklyn. Easily. There are lots of MD and DO programs. Maybe I could even live in Ohio.